Monday, February 8, 2010

Snowflakes Keep Falling On My Head

It snowed again today. It's snowed a lot since I arrived. It doesn't usually stick for very long, but for England, this is very unusual weather. The whole country ran out of deicer on the day I arrived, or at least that's what the airline told us.

In other news, I'm sick again. I got borderline laryngitis (not quite voiceless, but close) within the first few days of my arrival, and now I've got one humdinger of a cold and cough--as do several of my flatmates and classmates. I expected to get sick as soon as I got over here (new diseases + stress of new country = recipe for illness) but I really could have called it good at just the sore throat. Oh well--this too shall pass, and in the meantime, I'm not alone in my miseries.

As a side note, I'm of the opinion that laryngitis is one of the most pleasant temporary illnesses one can contract, relatively speaking. Think about it: no runny nose, no clogged sinuses, no headaches, no fever or chills, no annoying cough, no unsightly rashes, infections, or blemishes, no fatigue or aches, and to top it all off, a perfect excuse not to have to talk to people. What's more, you solve all discomfort with candy-flavored throat lozenges and tea with liberal amounts of honey added. If you must contract an illness, laryngitis is definitely the one to wish for.

On the bright side, Lisa (Am.), Kassy (Am. FM), Ben (UK FM), and I booked our transportation (combination bus and plane) and hostel for a spring break trip to Dublin! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment