Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Fork in the Road

The whole flat went out clubbing again tonight. At this rate, I will be shocked if I'm not deaf by March. I'm going to invest in some earplugs.

I learned some new terms today. Lorries are semi trucks. If something is really far away, it is "a mission away." Mohawks (the hairstyle) are "Mohicans." They put ketchup in everything, even dip their pizza in it. And when making tea, they always put the bags in the teapot. The American way of putting the bag in the cup is called a "gypsy cup" and is considered a bit uncouth.

Luke and I had a conversation about forks and knives at dinner today. I knew that the British used their forks upside down in their left hand, but I saw Luke using his right, so I said, "Oh, I've always heard that the British hold their forks upside down in their left hand, but I guess that's not true." Luke said that of course he was using his right hand, because the only utensil (sorry, I mean "cutlery") he needed for his meal was a fork. However, if a knife were involved, the fork would definitely be upside down in his left hand. "Do you not do it that way?" he asked. When I told him about our practice of switching hands from cutting to eating, he exclaimed, "What a palaver! Did you hear that, Rob? They set their knife down, switch the fork to their right, and then eat with it. That's absolutely ridiculous!" And yet putting the tea bag directly in the cup, instead of going through the rigmarole of a teapot is ludicrous. Riiight.

2 comments:

  1. Great job with the blog! I can't wait to see what you post next. Love the lavender doors in your room.
    I've heard of "lorries" but not "lobbies".
    I've thought about switching to the Euro way of utensil use, but thought it would be too affected for an american who has never lived abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, they are lorries. I should refrain from posting at 3:30 in the morning. I'll go fix that.

    ReplyDelete